New Jersey Native Perennials
New Jersey is a geographically small state with a wide range of native plant species. Its habitats include highland forests, acidic pine barrens, coastal forests, and fertile plains along the Piedmont Fall Line.
These are perennials that are native to the state of New Jersey. Included on this list are some cultivars (cultivated varieties) and naturally occurring hybrids that vary only slightly from the parent species. Some native gardeners choose to incorporate cultivars in their plantings, and some do not. You can identify these plants by the addition of an extra name at the end (such as 'May Breeze').
For a more detailed look at New Jersey native plants by region, please cross-reference the New Jersey Native Plant Society's plant lists.
If you believe there is a mistake in our list, please use the ‘contact us’ form linked at the bottom of the page to notify us. We try to provide the most accurate information possible and appreciate your feedback.
- Lonicera sempervirens Honeysuckle
- Pycnanthemum muticum Clustered Mountain Mint
- Eryngium yuccifolium Rattlesnake Master
- Artemisia ludoviciana 'Silver King' White Sage Wormwood
- Viola sororia 'Freckles' Violet
- Physostegia virginiana 'Pink Manners' Obedient Plant
- Mertensia virginica Virginia Bluebells
- Phlox paniculata 'Jeana' Garden Phlox
- Lobelia cardinalis Cardinal Flower
- Pycnanthemum virginianum Virginia Mountain Mint
- Phlox paniculata 'Robert Poore' Garden Phlox
- Muhlenbergia capillaris Muhly Grass