North Carolina Native Perennials
Below are perennials that are native to the state of North Carolina. Included on this list are some cultivars (cultivated varieties) and naturally-occurring hybrids that vary only slightly from the parent species.
Some native gardeners choose to incorporate cultivars into their plantings and some do not. You can identify these plants by the addition of an extra name at the end (such as 'May Breeze').
For a more detailed look at North Carolina native plants, please cross-reference the North Carolina Native Plant Society's website.
- Lonicera sempervirens Honeysuckle
- Monarda 'Jacob Cline' Bee Balm
- Lonicera sempervirens 'John Clayton' Honeysuckle
- Lonicera 'Major Wheeler' Honeysuckle
- Phlox paniculata 'Jeana' Garden Phlox
- Silene virginica Fire Pinks
- Lobelia cardinalis Cardinal Flower
- Phlox paniculata 'Robert Poore' Garden Phlox
- Passiflora incarnata
- Chrysogonum 'Pierre' Goldenstar
- Aquilegia canadensis Native Columbine
- Solidago rugosa 'Fireworks' Rough-stemmed Goldenrod